Friday, December 31, 2010

Healing

December 19 – Healing.

What healed you this year? Was it sudden, or a drip-by-drip evolution? How would you like to be healed in 2011?

Well, I think I've already established how wonderful it's been to discover that I have a gluten intolerance (probably celiac disease), and how adopting a gluten-free diet has been incredibly healing for me, physically.

Now, though, as I look forward, I realize I cannot blame being tired, sore, achy, irritable, or sick for any lack of action on my part. It's time for me to make progress, real progress.

It's time for me to stop settling for my body the way it is. I know it can be better, I know I can make better food choices, I can exercise more consistently, I can sleep more, I can be more vigilant about taking the supplements that I need. I can be faster, I can have a clearer mind, I can feel better.

So, I'm setting goals. I hate to call them resolutions, but I do have concrete plans of action for physical healing, for the next step in feeling better. I'm going to track my food intake online again, because that's been a very helpful tool for me (I like MyPlate for this). I'm aiming to run/walk/jog 100 miles a month ... yes, that's an average of 3+ miles a day without a break, I know! I'm excited about the challenge and hopeful for the benefits it will bring to my body.

Naturally, the healing that has taken place physically is leading me to be able to heal emotionally. I will admit, though, I am not certain this healing process, the inner healing, is ever complete. On one hand, this frustrates me ... I'd love to someday feel out of the "emotional woods, so to speak. On the other hand, I realize that it is this continual healing, this unending growth, that makes life so interesting and so vital.

That I can see the big picture this way is a huge sign that much healing has taken place in the last two years. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment